The Giving Season


This week's very special guest blogger is a good friend of Marianist PULSE. She's also our neighbor, a mentor and more. Joan shares with us friendship, wisdom, generosity and most importantly, her love and care.


When we invited Joan to write the blog which would appear today, December 20th, just five days before we celebrate the ultimate gift of Jesus' birth and coming to dwell among us, she asked if she could talk about her husband, Mike. Through many years of marriage and family, Joan and Mike selflessly taught their children and so many others about the true meaning of giving. 

We're privileged and thankful to include both Joan and Mike in our "Spectacle of Saints" and wish all of you a most joyous season of giving. "For it is in giving that we receive..."


THE SEASON FOR GIVING


It is the season of giving and there is giving all around me.  Giving trees.  Giving food baskets. Giving to shut-ins. Giving to needy children.  Giving to family and friends.  This has made me consider my personal giving.  Why do I give during this season of giving?  In one aspect my giving is related to my thankfulness.  I give because I am thankful for my many blessings that make it possible for me to give. Recently I was able to show my thanks in a very real, very rewarding, very personal way.



When I gave to the Marianist PULSE community the means to purchase a house, I did it in my husband, Michael’s, memory.  I also did it in thankfulness for our 59 years of a much-blessed marriage and I did it in thankfulness for the blessings of six prosperous children. I gave to commemorate our spiritual connections to the Marianists and the University of Dayton where Michael taught for thirty-eight years.  I gave to commemorate Michael’s political activism in the culturally rich Five-Oaks neighborhood where the Marianist PULSE house is located.  I am thankful for all the gifts that have been given Michael and me. I want to share those gifts with others.  To me giving is thankfulness and thankfulness is giving.  

SaveSave

Comments

Popular Posts