Two Tables: Living a Life of Prayer


This week, we are very pleased to welcome Brother Mark Motz, director of vocations for the Marianist Province of the U.S., as our guest blogger. We asked Brother Mark to share his thoughts on what it takes to live a life of prayer in community, as PULSE volunteers are invited to do:


A frequent reflection that familiarizes itself into my prayer is the image of two tables, the altar and the dining room table. As a Marianist, I spend a significant amount of time around both, so it makes sense. I feel like both tables are essential for young adults to live a life of prayer in community. Both tables offer a sense of eucharist and mystagogy and are essential elements.   

Eucharist, which means giving thanks, is essential to both these tables but also to a life of prayer. Prayer is a response to God’s love, to which I find my only reaction can be gratitude. When I begin my prayer with thanksgiving, and my prayer is guided by that attitude, I find my struggles and challenges pale in comparison. The same is true with both tables. I go to Mass to give thanks and to participate in the Eucharistic celebration that makes me who I am. I frequently begin my meals with a usually simple ritualized mention of gratitude, however, I have been honored to experience someone truly hungry offer thanks for a meal that they did not expect after many skipped meals and I witnessed true gratitude in her prayer. That one experience has influenced how I pray before meals and has made its way into my prayer life. A life of prayer, especially one in community, begins in gratitude and then flows from there.  


The end of prayer is just as important as the beginning. In my opinion, mystagogy is an underused word. It is a term that means to be led deeper into the mystery—usually referring to the process at the conclusion of RCIA—but I think it is also the goal every time someone “leaves the table”.  Whether it is to “go forth to love and serve the Lord," standing up after a great meal ready to take on the world, or a simple prayer, I hope that we all are led deeper into the mysteries we experience. Have you had the experience where you leave Mass or the dinner table ready to make a real difference in the world?  I have, and I love it!  Our life of prayer in community should do the same!  




I used the image of the two tables to illustrate the importance of the beginning and end of prayer, to start with thanksgiving and end with an invitation to go deeper.  A life of prayer in community is balanced between these two tables and one leads to the other. I pray that you may always find a seat at these tables, but also the courage to leave the table and make the world a better place… we need it.   We need you.  

Comments

Popular Posts