A Year of Learning

Lauren at Mission of Mary Coop.
Our Spectacle of Saints blogger this week is Lauren, a current volunteer with Marianist PULSE. Lauren is from Louisville and is serving this year at Mission of Mary Cooperative (missionofmary.org), focusing on the issues of food and economic social justice, especially the issues of healthy food affordability and access.

Lauren shares with us her thoughts on learning that she still has a lot to learn:

As I type this, I’m sitting with 4 dear friends, none of whom I knew before entering this year of service with PULSE. At this point, we’ve been through so much together that I often forget we didn’t know one another until this past August! I can’t help but feel grateful for all of the opportunities of growth and challenge, laughs, and support I’ve shared with them and my entire community. 

After spending 9 weeks in Salyersville, KY through the University of Dayton’s Summer Appalachian Program living in an intentional, service-based community, and then diving into PULSE’s intentional, service-based community shortly after, I realized I have a heck of a lot to learn. 

I have so much to learn from my community members. Coming from different parts of the world, from different cultures, upbringings, experiences, and so forth, I now have a clearer picture of what life must be like through another’s lens. 

With housemates in Twin Towers
Similarly, I’ve learned more than I can quantify at my placement, Mission of Mary Cooperative. Whether it’s farm operations, nonprofit operations, plumbing, insulation, drywall, building a wood fire pizza oven, stories from an intern, etc. I feel as though I’m learning new every. single. day. Also, through these experiences and many others at Mission of Mary, I've learned that I’m capable of much more than I realized, and for that I am forever thankful! 

By working and living in the Twin Towers neighborhood, I’ve also had the opportunity to learn from my neighbors. The obstacles and challenges they face each day is something I will never truly know, and I feel privileged to have shared this year with them. 

Lastly, I will always be learning from the Marianist family. To those I’ve met and those I’ve only heard about, your dedication to social justice and your willingness to live the charism each day continues to inspire me. 

I’d strongly encourage anyone considering and able to dedicate to a year of service to do so. No matter where the journey takes you, you’re bound to learn more about the world around you, and consequentially, learn more about yourself. 

Peas and Carrots, 
Lauren

Comments

Popular Posts