Learning God's Path

Charlene experiencing Fall for the first time!
This week's Spectacle of Saints blog is written by current PULSE volunteer, Charlene, who is a graduate of Chaminade University in Honolulu. Charlene's service at Brigid's Path was previously highlighted in a blog post written by her supervisor, Lea Gauthier. Charlene graciously shares her thoughts on her recent journey to PULSE, and what comes next for her:

“What are you doing after you graduate?” During my senior year in college, I had a difficult time answering this question. When I was in my first year of college, I told myself that after I graduated I would attend medical school so that I could pursue my dream of becoming a Pediatrician. I thought this was the most reasonable and affordable route to take. Turns out, God wanted me to pursue my other dreams first. 

Born and raised in Hawaii, I always had a dream of living in the mainland to become more independent, and to experience the four seasons. I also had a dream of using my gifts and talents to help underserved populations, and being able to find and learn new ways to strengthen my faith. I never thought that Marianist PULSE, a post-graduate year of faith, urban leadership, service, education, and intentional community, would turn my dreams into reality. I never thought that I would be in Dayton, Ohio learning about the effects of the opioid epidemic on families, especially on mothers and their newborns.

As the Brigid’s Path Volunteer Coordinator for nine months, my experiences with the administrative staff, medical team, volunteers, drug-exposed newborns, and drug-addicted mothers, has been very humbling. I have been able to learn how these newborns suffer from high pitched cries, tremors, and emesis-symptoms of neonatal abstinence syndrome. I have also been able to learn how to find the right group of adult volunteers who are willing to provide emotional comfort for our adjusting newborns. Lastly, I have been able to be a lending ear for some of the mothers that visit their newborns.

After bottle-feeding and cuddling baby H, I was able to witness baby H’s big smile. I could not help but smile back, and without even realizing it, mother N said, “You have a beautiful smile, Charlene.” I replied and said, “Thank you. You have a handsome son.” As I placed the baby in his mother's arms, she then said, “Thank you for taking care of my son. Your mom must be very proud of you.” She then talked about her relationship with her mom and how she has been very supportive throughout her journey with baby H. While this mother was telling her story, she was giving kisses to her baby. I could not help but give her a big smile. This made me realize that the best stories are told when you actively listen and observe the storyteller. 

I will never forget the mothers who constantly tell me how Brigid’s Path has changed their lives. Furthermore, I will never forget the mothers who have recovered from their drug addiction and come back with their child to visit Brigid’s Path, just so that they
could share and show how their child is doing. If it wasn’t for the partnership that the Marianist PULSE and Brigid’s Path have, I would not be able to experience any of these God-moments.

As my PULSE year is coming to an end, I can’t help but reflect on the Bible verse that is placed on one of the walls in the Brigid’s Path Chapel Room: “Show me your ways, Lord, teach me your paths.” (Psalm 25:4) My dreams would not have turned into reality if it were not for the Lord, our God, showing and telling me that a gap year would still lead me to a path in the medical field. When someone asks me what I am doing after PULSE, I hope it will inspire him or her to also do a post-graduate service year.

All Four Seasons!

Agyamanak, Mahalo, Thank you,


Charlene 

Comments

Popular Posts