Mountains and Valleys, Scoopies and Poopies

Ani Artero
MP1 alum, Ha’Ani Artero shares an update on life since 2016-2017, the inaugural PULSE year. Now a few years later, Ani serves as the Program Director at the Marianist Retreat Center and Summer Camp at Tecaboca, located in Mountain Home, TX. 

During my PULSE year, I served as the RiverMobile Coordinator at the Rivers Institute in the University of Dayton's Fitz Center for Leadership in Communities. I love water and so it was fitting that I was able to get my feet wet in environmental stewardship and education. I was blessed with an awesome supervisor and mentor, Leslie, who took the time to help me grow as a person and as a professional. She helped switch my interest in environmental stewardship into a passion. I owe a great deal to her, the River Stewards, the Fitz Center and community partners. The valuable PULSE formation, leadership training and professional development opportunities enriched my service year and prepared me for the work I’m doing now. I’ve been promoted from being a full-time volunteer for the Marianists to full-time Marianist employee! It's all in God's timing.

You may be asking why it’s taken me so long to write a blog post for PULSE. All of my community mates from MP1 have already written a post, some have written multiple. Some of MP1’s parents have even written for PULSE! Here I am, after two years, two jobs, two cars, and three apartments later, finally at ease with the long transition ready to write.
MP3 on Retreat, Ani Facilitating!


In these two years, there were times I felt really low and times I felt joyful beyond measure. During MP1, we often did check-ins with each other where we shared our Roses and Thorns, Highs and Lows, Peaks and Pits, or a new one I've recently come across, Scoopies and Poopies. (Scoopies as in scoops of ice cream or, even better, FROZEN CUSTARD like Ritter’s. I’m sure you can guess the poopies.)

I’ve never been the type to be comfortable sharing personal feelings and emotions. Poopies are the worst, but even my Scoopies are difficult for me to express. My community knows that about me and they’ve always been accepting of me anyway. They both held my vulnerability and honored its sacredness at the same time. They are patient and sincere and know me in a way that no one else could and that is simply because of the year we shared together. That is very much one of the many gifts of community. It’s been such a blessing to continue to grow in relationship after all this time. As a matter of fact, we all gathered together for a campfire cookout just a few weeks ago when I was visiting in Dayton. 
The Great Bonfire of April 2019


In a cool plot twist, the current MP3 cohort traveled to Tecaboca for their mid-year retreat this past February.When the current MP3 came to Tecaboca, I led them in community building exercises - camp style. I also had an opportunity to share with them the highs and lows of MP1 and what we did to experience the most of our year. 

My Marianist formation at Chaminade University, and during Marianist PULSE strengthened my understanding of what it means to be a servant leader. At Tecaboca, I gladly get to practice it every day. To share and serve is a way to minister. It was such a unique blessing to be able to minister to MP3 in this way, bringing it full circle from being formed to helping form others.

What a journey it has been, but God really works wonders in God’s own perfect timing. The journey continues, roses and thorns, mountains and valleys, scoopies and poopies, and all.

Warmest Wishes,
Ani

Comments

Popular Posts